Saturday, November 10, 2007

Don't fall asleep on me

I have done the night shift at the hospital for a while now when Lacey has her surgeries. Last year in the fall she had one of her rib expansions and did great. I was very tired and exhausted. The Christus Santa Rosa Hospital in S.A. Texas has day beds in the PICU units.

The night after this particular surgery I fell fast asleep. When I would hear the nurse or RT come in I would lay there and not get up as I usually do. When they would leave I would fall right back to sleep. The next morning she was talking and I called her PaPa to let her say hi. With her witty humor the first thing she told him was my dad didn't do anything last night but sleep. I started laughing. Needless to say I have never lived it down and now I make sure she sees me in the middle of the night.

That leads me to this story. The morning of this surgery in Seattle while Lacey was in the pre-op area waiting without prompting she looks at me and said hey Bud don't fall asleep on me this is a serious surgery so I asked her to repeat herself and videoed it. She's picked up the word bud and that made it even funnier.

I am so amazed at how she always tries to have a sense of humor even in times like these.


No comments: